Friday, July 6, 2012

Rani's: A Hidden Gem in Coconut Grove

As your GTG, one of my main duties is to inform you of new trends or new store openings. In some rare instances I get to inform you of things or places you might not have even known were around.

As is the case today.

How many of us love denim? I know I do. In fact it's one of my favorite garments with my five inch heels.

Denim is probably one of the most expendable items in any of our closets because of its versatility. While often thought of as casual pieces, jeans have evolved and with time have proved that you can rock a pair of jeans and still be the belle of the ball. (Just make sure jeans are suitable for the ball.)

Recently I heard about Rani's,  a denim boutique located in Coconut Grove. My friend who used to work there had been asking me to check it for sometime now, but I hadn't gotten around to it until this past weekend. And I was in for a treat.

 The shop, which is located in the heart of the Grove, can be easily missed if you're not looking for it.

Display window in front of store
Display window in front of store.
The boutique which has been around since 1971 started selling Indian cotton apparel such as dresses and skirts. It wasn't until the late '70s that Rani's started to sell jeans and has been specializing in men's and women's  high end designer denim ever since.



Click on image to enlarge

Rani's look is quirky, fun and very unique to its brand. I was instantly greeted by the sales person, Marie. Marie was not only easy to talk to, but she was very warm and this girl knows all there is to know about brands, fit and body types.

**So if you're ever in this part of town and need denim make sure you ask for her. She's the best!

Rani's carries the following brands:
  • Diesel
  • Citizen of Humanity
  • Seven for all mankind
  • 1921
  • Paige Denim
  • Hudson Jeans
  • AG
  • Scotch & Soda
  •  Religion
  • House of God
  • Threads for Thoughts
  • Jag (men's shorts)
Aside from selling denim, they also sell other apparel like tees, dresses and accessories such as hats and wallets. Rani's now carries the accessories line from Will Leather Goods, which includes wallets, clutches, weekend bags and backpacks, as well as belts by Bill Adler (also part of the Will Leather Goods division.)

Here are some of my fave finds:


Rani's also has some cute fitting rooms-- one is even made out of denim.

Fitting Room with Denim Curtain.
Fitting Room

Brief History Lesson on Rani's:
  • Because of its hot spot status throughout the 90s, Rani's owner used  to hire police to control the crowds.
  • The boutique was one of the first places in Miami that sold Diesel--since the denim giant's debut in 1978.  
Celebrity Sightings:
  • Demi Moore
  • Sharon Stone
  • Basketball Legend Isiah Thomas
  • Members of The Bush Family
And because I'm such a shopaholic and a true Miami Heat fan (though I would not be caught dead in one of those generic championship shirts, well maybe only to sleep,) I had to buy this mega cute vintage Miami Heat tee to rep my team!


Cute, huh?







Rani's Business Card









What are some of your favorite hidden gems in your town?
Always Fashionably Knowledgeable,
Your GTG

"I wish I had invented blue jeans. They have expression, modesty, sex appeal simplicity-- all I hope for in my clothes." YSL
























3 comments:

  1. love AG jeans! havent been able to wear any of mines since the baby :/ it seems I finally got some hips! lol thanks for sharing Yami!
    Xoxo
    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anytime Dee! I'm sure you will fit into your AG's in no time :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. great post! too bad there's non here in our country!
    Rovie, The Bargain Doll

    ReplyDelete