Monday, September 2, 2013

When I Fell in Love



With summer behind us and the weather changing, I can't seem to stop thinking about fashion. So today I thought we could have a fun conversation about when we fell in love with fashion.

I'm convinced I was born with a love for fashion that I wouldn't begin to understand until I was a tween. As a mischievous tot, my mom would put me in cute little outfits that I took pride in not getting dirty and showing off to our neighbors.

When I was five, I encountered my first fashion obsession: a pair of white cowboy boots with a patch of rhinestones that I wore everywhere I went until they broke. Twice. My poor mom replaced them, but after the third pair she just wasn't able to find them again. But I also went through a short tomboy stage for a few years during my elementary school, however by the time I transferred to middle school I was back in love with fashion.

And then came that fashion moment that made me look at fashion from an artistic point of view:

Toni Braxton's white cutout dress from her 1996 video: Un-Break My Heart.


The only thing more amazing in 1996 than this song was this dress.

I'm not exactly sure who made it though I think it was during Tom Ford's stint at Gucci from the limited details the Internet provided. This was the dress that solidified my obsession with fashion and would forever make me excited to watch red carpet season during awards season (which is also just around the corner again.)


Here's the entire video so you can revel in the glory of that dress:



Here's a look at some of my other red carpet fave gowns:

Gwyneth Paltrow in Tom Ford.

Nicole Kidman in Balenciaga.

Hilary Swank in Guy LaRoche.

Michelle Williams in Vera Wang.

Penelope Cruz in Atelier Versace.

Jennifer Lopez in Valentino.
Sharon Stone in a black seemingly backless Vera Wang.




When did you fall in love with fashion? Was it a moment? A dress on the red carpet? A fashion show? A music video? A store window?

Sound off!

P.S. How chic is the white dress Toni Braxton wore that we can totally rock in 2013 because cutouts are so on trend :)

And don't forget to catch up with me:

32 comments:

  1. One day I decided to dress in clothes that fit me - and the favorable responses I received from women made me take an interest in fashion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fit is so important. It can make an outfit go from average to amazing.

      Delete
  2. I will always love that Valentino piece Jennifer Lopez wore before mint was deemed "cool" by glossy magazines and fashion blogs! I don't think I had one "moment," but I started having fun with fashion when I scored my first "real job" and had to totally change my wardrobe. For the first time, I started paying attention to the way my sense of fashion actually revealed a lot about my personality. Now I'm totally hooked! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know a lot of people think fashion is so superficial, but I think clothes show off you're style, which can give people a peek of your personality. :)

      Delete
  3. Love Penelope Cruz's dress :)

    Chelsey via www.stylebychelsey.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love gwyneth's look ^^
    xoxo

    novelstyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still daydreaming about that white cape.

      Delete
  5. Don´t know, I know that I used to love matching the same pattern, especially florals. A floral vest and shorts, just the thought makes me cringe now.

    http://kjandersen.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was such a 90s thing to do! I think you can still pull it off if you wear it with confidence.

      Delete
  6. Love this post! I was a complete tomboy & not at all interested (or aware) of fashion when I moved to Italy at 21 - And I came home w/ jewelry, makeup, perfume, purses, heels... Haha. Definitely my defining fashion moment! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's amazing! Well I'm glad you lived in Italy and fell in love with fashion cause now we have your blog.

      Delete
  7. Omg! That white dress on T Braxton just took me way back. Great post!!mylifestyledblog.blogspot.co

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the Tom Ford dress. It's just so stunning! I don't know if I ever had a moment when I fell in love with fashion. However, I do love seeing all the beautiful clothes on the red carpet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too! I watch the red carpet and skip the awards show.

      Delete
  9. I think I've always been totally obsessed with shoes! I loved reading your fashion story and all the great red carpet photos :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shoes are my sweet spot as well. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  10. women in red! Nicole Kidman dress was stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss the Nicole Kidman of this era, I feel like now she just doesn't put the effort she used to and her looks aren't as stunning as they once were.

      Delete
  11. Nicole Kidman always manage to look so lovely! And I love Jennifer, but somehow I don't like that particular dress that much....However, I like the dresses of Sharon Stone and Hilary Swank :)) great post BTW :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  12. I'm remember when I saw that video of Toni Braxton in that dress. I was like WOW she looked amazing! That year everyone girl wore a similar dress like that for prom.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nicole Kidman looks so stunning in the red dress

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved how Penelope looked, she looked completely stunning! Definitely a beautiful dress.
    #GIGBLOGGERS

    ReplyDelete
  15. super picks!! i love nicole kidmans <3 so flawless.

    ReplyDelete