Thursday, May 24, 2012

Dear Younger Me

How many times do you find yourself saying: “I wish I knew______ when I was younger.” I probably do it more often then I'd like to admit. But such is life.

When life gets tough you have to keep going, but sometimes we just need a little motivation to keep us going. Today I was asked to write a letter to the child version of myself about the things that I've learned as an adult for a special motivational post on Miami Now.

I found it very interesting, so I thought I'd share it with you.

The IDEA:

Take a picture of yourself and place it side-by-side to a picture of you as a child or a teen. On a separate piece of paper, make a note of the criticisms of the younger you. On another piece of paper make a list of advice and/or encouragements that you would give a younger you. Save the positive list and keep it nearby as a reminder or update it when facing new adversities.


Hopefully, this will save you or help others who are going through hardships. Here’s my letter and I hope you share your letter with me!



Dear Younger Yamari,

Here are a few things that will help you get through life:

In life you will not always get what you want. Never let anyone tell you you’re not good enough to do something because, although you might not be right for something it has nothing to do with the person you are.

Love yourself for who you are and for who you are not. Be proud of your accomplishments. Never stop dreaming. Learn to forgive. Family always comes first. Friends come and go. Be kind. Be strong. Crying is therapeutic. Live with no regrets. Never stop learning. The older you get the more you’ll understand the importance and urgency of taking care of yourself. There’s only one of you and it should be the very best version of yourself.

Love always,
You

I also want to share my friend's letter:



Dear Younger Michelle,

You can’t plan everything and life doesn’t always happen the way you want. Keep on the path you’re on but be more forgiving to others. Chin up and take the world off your shoulders. You’re only young once, enjoy it! Life is a lesson taught only by experience. Don’t be afraid to make mistakes and ask for help. Not everyone is going to like you and that’s OK. Your family and close friends will always be there so remember to say, “I love you,” to them often. I love you and always trust in God!

XOXO

Ps. your brothers aren’t adopted, your bestie will always think she’s right, and mom will always be mom:-)


What would you write to yourself?

4 comments:

  1. Why the statement about friends coming and going? I guess this would be therapeutic, but isn't it living in the past? I think we should be looking through the windshield, not rear view mirror.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe that people think friends are forever, and while it can happen for some people, it's not like that for everyone. Sometimes friends become strangers because they grow up apart and that's okay.

    I don't think of it as living in the past so much. I think of it as an exercise that shows exaxctly how far we've come in life from when we were children and teenagers. And I agree with you: we should look through the windshield and not the rear view mirror.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this post. I have been wanting to write a letter to my younger self for a while now. You just motivated me to do a blog post about it. I do agree with you --some people come in your life for seasons and thats life.

      Delete
  3. Courtnee, I can't wait to read your post!

    ReplyDelete