Monday, February 11, 2013

GTG Tries It... Zoya's PixieDust Colors

Forty-one!

That's the number of days I sat impatiently waiting for my new Zoya PixieDust order to be fulfilled and shipped out.

Sidenote: the shipping gods have been really upset with me for unknown reasons. So far two of my four pending packages have been undeliverable including my Zoya package, which I had to go pick up myself.

You can't even imagine how excited I was to pick up my package and test out these brand spanking new colors for you! The Zoya Pixiedust collection features six new colors with a special formula that creates a textured, matte and sparkling finish, it's kinda like sparkly sugar or sand on your nails.

As soon as I heard this collection was coming out I knew I'd love Dahlia (a blacky sugary sparkle) and London (a fog gray sugary sparkle.) I also placed an order for Purity (a clean white creme with a glossy finish) and Toni (a dark wine with purple tones.)

Zoya goodies

As a gift, Zoya included a color chart with its other new spring collection, a polish remover and the Qtica half time polish drying accelerator (I will def let you know how the accelerator works in the future.)

On to the pixiedust colors:

Zoya Pixiedust in London
Shine bright like a diamond in London. (Day 1)


Day 3: Minor chipping







Honestly this picture doesn't even do this color any justice. The color is so much more vibrant, sparkly and prettier in person. Every single girl at the salon complimented me on the color because it's absolutely stunning. The texture is a little weird and it does take sometime to get used to because it's so grainy. This can be a problem for some, but not for someone like myself, who appreciates the look. 

In order to achieve the best possible finish you have to make sure your nails are clean and that they don't have any oil or grease. You cannot use a base coat. Apply a single coat and wait for it to dry completely before applying the next coat (always make sure you wait for each coat to dry in between  coats.) I had my manicurist apply three thin coats. Here's the final kicker--you shouldn't apply a top coat either in order to obtain the desired matte sugary results. If you do it will still look pretty, but the final look will be smooth and not sugar-like.

Zoya Pixiedust in Dahlia


Dahlia Swatch (p.s. there's a reason I don't do my own nails it's cause I suck at it!)


Here's my overall review of Zoya's new Pixiedust collection:

Product: Zoya PixieDust Nail Lacquer 

Claims: A long-lasting formula with a magical sparkle and sugary finish. 

Actually: Long lasting? Depends on your definition of long lasting. I started seeing minimal chipping at 3 days, which considering you can't use a top coat is not terrible. The final matte texturized sugar look is nothing short of absolutely stunning.  

Pros: A new, beautiful one of a kind manicure, which can be easily fixed with a single coat that will not smudge like most regular lacquers. The price of $9 also makes this an affordable buy.

Cons: My only issue with this polish was the removal process. I highly recommend that you let each nail soak in polish remover before attempting to remove the color. It's no more difficult than removing glitter nail polish.

I'll update this post in a few days with the Dahlia color so you can see what it looks like.

Until next time,

xo GTG










10 comments:

  1. I feel like glitter polish is HARD to get off but I'm thrilled to read this review - Thank you for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anytime! Thank you for stopping by my corner in the Internet! xo

      Delete
  2. 41 days! I don't think I could have patiently wait that long. Love both of the pixie dust colors so very pretty, I still haven't broke down and order them but I'm seriously considering it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well the colors were on pre-order in December, but I knew I wouldn't get them until their February release. It actually took longer because the package could not be delivered. Sigh! You should totally try it. I've gotten so many compliments. I'm going to try the black color this weekend! :)

      Delete
    2. OHH I forgot those were pre order shades! I think I'm going to have to squeeze it into my budget somehow :)

      Delete
  3. I can't believe you had to wait that long! That's nuts! The colors are really pretty though. From your description they seem to be similar in texture to the new OPI "liquid sand" nail polishes I just bought from the Mariah Carey collection. Love it!

    <3, Crystal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The colors are awesome and yes the formula is very similar to OPI's liquid sand, which I have yet to try.

      xo

      Delete
  4. You guys are getting me into nail polish. Do you polish your nail or do you go the shop?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm obsessed with having my nails look perfect. Nails have become the ultimate accessory!

    I get my nails done by a pro cause I suck at doing them on my own, but I want to start practicing doing them myself :) I have so many colors to test out

    ReplyDelete